Marine and Harbor

Regulating the Development of the Three Bass Islands Shoreline

Mooring Field
The Put-in-Bay Township Port Authority owns the mooring field in the downtown harbor. The mooring field is operated by The Boardwalk.  mooring field has been long regarded as a plum anchorage while visiting South Bass Island. The proximity to village attractions, serene setting, and the reliable and trustworthy harbor taxi service all create a rewarding and satisfying boating experience.

There are 80 mooring buoys, which operate on a first-come, first-served basis. There is a harbor taxi service—SCG licensed captains operate three harbor launches to transport you to the Boardwalk Dock, which is located right in the heart of the harbor and downtown. There is no additional fee for unlimited taxi service to/from the mooring. Hail the water taxi on Channel 10. Put-in-Bay's

An aerial view of a runway and some trees

Water Taxi service is available daily during the summer season, May until Labor Day, runs:

8:00 AM until 11:00 PM Monday thru Thursday
8:00 AM until midnight on Friday
7:00 AM to midnight on Saturday and holidays
7:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Sundays

Shower and bathroom facilities are provided at the boardwalk near the gas dock. Your water taxi pilot will be happy to provide directions as you disembark.

Day Rates for Mooring Field Applies Until 6:00 PM: Fri–Sun and holidays $35;
Mon–Thurs $25
Red Tops (Every Day) $40

Overnight Rates Per Night: Friday, Saturday, and holidays $45; Sun–Thurs $30
Red Top Buoys: Friday, Saturday, and holidays $50; Sunday thru Thursday $45

Related Links:
NOAA Weather
Marine Weather
US Coast Guard
Great Lakes Weather
Put-in-Bay Yacht Club
Inter-Lake Yachting Association

Boardwalk Harbor Operations


The Put-in-Bay Port Authority regulates development lakeward of the shoreline for the three Bass Islands including South Bass, Middle Bass and North Bass Islands. The Port Authority has Shoreline Development Guidelines in place which define the development lakeward of the ordinary high water level (OHWL) and establish review procedures which seek to protect the littoral rights of upland property owners and the health, safety and general welfare of the community. A "Request for Submerged Lands Resolution and Building Permit" must be submitted along with other required documentation including a provisional US Army Corp of Engineers provisional permit, surveyor-sealed Submerged Lands legal description and sketch and engineer-sealed drawings prior to consideration by the Port Authority. We recommend that you work with a qualified professional to assist you in this process to ensure that all regulations are adhered to. For a "Port Authority Request for Submerged Lands Lease click here.

A rainbow over the water and a boat in the water.